By PoliceOne Staff

ST LOUIS — A St. Louis police officer released surveillance video showing an encounter that could have turned deadly in order to highlight the dangers LEOs face on a daily basis.

On July 14, 2015, Sgt. Charles Lowe was working a security job and was sitting in his personal vehicle when the attacked happened, KTVI reported. Lowe told KMOV that he saw a vehicle approaching to his left before it got in front of his car, blocking him in.

Dale Wolford, 23, then jumped out of the car and started shooting Lowe, who returned fire. One of Wolford’s shots struck Lowe in the lower portion of his body armor, according to the St. Louis Dispatch.

“As soon as I was hit, I knew I was hit. I didn’t know how bad. I was trying to psychologically stay in the gunfight,” Lowe told KMOV. “The first thing I thought about was my family during the gunfight. I know that sounds strange. Then I remember being super, super vigilant of my sights, my weapon, my trigger control, everything I had learned over the last 18,19 years.”

Lowe was taken to a hospital and survived the attack. Police arrested Wolford and his getaway driver, 27-year-old Edward Davis, two days after the ambush. Lowe told the St. Louis Dispatch that he still doesn’t know the motive behind the ambush.

The officer was able to return to work a few months after the attack. Though he said it’s hard for him to relive the attack, he said he released the video to highlight the dangers LEOs face on a daily basis.

On Saturday, the three-year anniversary of the shooting, Lowe led the Victims Against Violence Walk, which is intended to create engagement between the St. Louis PD and the community.

“The message is to let the community know we as officers in the city, sometimes while doing our duties, we become victims as well,” Lowe said. “I was a victim. I was ambushed like so many other victims in our city and state. It’s time for us to mend the differences and see that we have more things alike than not.”

Wolford and Davis were convicted earlier this year. Wolford was sentenced to 30 years for first-degree assault, while Davis was sentenced to 25 years for armed criminal action and driving Wolford to the scene.

Share This