Lying in State at the Arizona State Capitol
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018, Senator McCain will lie in state at the Arizona State Capitol.
At 10:00 a.m., a private ceremony will take place inside the Rotunda of the Arizona State Capitol, for family and invited guests only, to honor Senator McCain’s life and service to the state of Arizona and the nation.
Following the conclusion of the ceremony, the public is welcome to pay their respects to Senator McCain in the Arizona State Capitol Rotunda starting at 2:00 p.m.
- No firearms are allowed at the viewing
- Gun lockers will be available for temporary storage.
- Everyone is subject to a security screening prior to entry into the viewing
- No cameras
- No photography
- Drone operation is not permitted
- Small bags are permitted
Guests may park at the State Fairgrounds where they will be bused to the Capitol. The buses will begin transporting guests at 12:00 p.m.
A map with authorized parking locations and restricted areas is attached here.
For additional information, click here.
On Thursday, August 30, 2018, at 9:00 a.m., Mrs. Cindy McCain and family will arrive at the Arizona State Capitol.
At approximately 9:15 a.m., Senator McCain will be carried with ceremony from the Arizona State Capitol by Arizona National Guard personnel and the motorcade will depart for North Phoenix Baptist Church.
The procession will take approximately one half-hour. The public is invited to line the route along I-17 North, Camelback Road and North Central Avenue to pay their respects to Senator McCain.
The route is as follows:
Northbound 17th Avenue to Westbound Adams
Westbound Adams to northbound Interstate 17
Northbound Interstate 17 to eastbound Camelback Road
Eastbound Camelback Road to northbound Central Avenue
A map of the procession can be viewed here.
Arizona Memorial Service at North Phoenix Baptist Church
On Thursday, August 30, 2018, 10:00 a.m., a memorial service will take place to celebrate the life of Senator John McCain at North Phoenix Baptist Church in Phoenix, Arizona. Senator McCain’s family and friends, along with state, local and tribal officials, and business and civic leaders from across Arizona have been invited to attend the service. In addition, about 1,000 seats have been made available to the public, however, requests for tickets are no longer being accepted.
When the motorcade arrives at North Phoenix Baptist Church, the Arizona National Guard Casket Team will retrieve Senator McCain and proceed to the front of the church where the casket will be placed. The memorial service will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- The only bags allowed inside the church:
- Small clutch bags, with a maximum size of 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches, with or without a handle or strap
- Completely clear bags
- Medically necessary items/equipment
- All bags that adhere to the stated guidelines will be searched upon entry
- Photo ID and ticket are necessary for entry in the parking lot and church
- Guests will not be allowed re-entry if exiting the church before or during service
- Guests are encouraged to carpool to the church if possible
- No food or drinks are allowed inside the church, water will be provided
A map with authorized parking locations is attached here.
For additional information, please click here.