Four police officers were among 12 people sickened by carbon monoxide in a New Jersey home so toxic it left victims convulsing and foaming at the mouth, reports the Associated Press.
Sensors detected dangerously excessive levels of carbon in the home, said Flanders Fire Chief Tyler Wargo. Five people were taken to a New York hospital, including three of the officers, who were released after treatment. Others were treated at the scene.
The names of the injured people were not released, and a hospital spokeswoman said she could not provide information on a patient’s condition without their names.
People were lying on the lawn outside the house in Mount Olive when firefighters arrived around 7:30 p.m. Monday.
Wargo couldn’t comment on the cause, but officials have narrowed it down to something in the home.
The Morris County Prosecutor’s Office is investigating.
Like this story? Want to know why tens of thousands of law enforcement people receive stories like this in their email twice a week?