By Caitlin Schmidt The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson

TUCSON, Ariz. — Tucson police chief Chris Magnus took to Twitter Tuesday night, calling the bond amount for a suspect accused at shooting at two police officers — striking one in his utility belt — “outrageous.”

Roy King was arrested May 18, after he shot at the officers responding to a domestic call. King had allegedly threatened his stepson and his stepson’s friend with a gun prior to the officers’ arrival at his home, according to a Tucson Police Officers Association news release posted to Facebook.

The incident was captured on body-worn camera footage, the release said.

King was booked into jail on four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and during his initial appearance, the Pima County Attorney’s Office requested his bond be set at $100,000, according to the release.

Instead, Judge Michael Pollard set King’s bail at $7,500, requiring King to post $750 to be released from jail, the release said, adding that TPOA is “extremely disappointed” with the low bail amount.

I agree with the TPOA that a bail amount of $7,500 (actually 10% or $750 could be posted) is outrageous for this type and number of violent assaults. An officer was almost killed! The judge is a great man, but this was a very poor decision.

— Chris Magnus (@ChiefCMagnus) May 23, 2018

“This shockingly low amount of money allowed King to walk out of jail before either officer was allowed to return to work,” the release said. “To allow the suspect of this incident to walk free while the officers are still trying to cope with the severity of the incident is a complete travesty of justice.”

On Twitter Monday night, Magnus shared TPOA’s post, saying he agreed that the bond amount was too low for “this type and number of violent assaults.”

“An officer was almost killed!” Magnus said. “The judge is a great man, but this was a very poor decision.”

An officer’s duty belt struck by gunfire last night as TPD officers responded to domestic violence o incident at an east side residence. Officers returned fire. Suspect arrested. Thankfully, no injuries. Way, way, way too close a call. This takes “high risk”to a whole other level

— Chris Magnus (@ChiefCMagnus) May 19, 2018

©2018 The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Ariz.)

Your Account

Create or login to your account to enjoy discounts and rewards.

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop