By Kristin LaFratta, Springfield, Mass.

FALMOUTH, Mass. — Two Falmouth police officers are recovering after a shootout with a suspect Friday night, which left one officer suffering a gunshot wound in the neck, and another suffering a gunshot wound in the chest.

Falmouth Police and the Cape and Islands district attorney have identified the suspect who allegedly opened fire on two officers as 21-year-old Malik Antonio Koval of East Falmouth.

Authorities say the two officers responded to a disturbance call on Ashley Drive in East Falmouth around 5:35 p.m. on Friday.

2 police officers shot in East #Falmouth, sources tell us. Suspect also shot. Massive police presence around Ashley Drive and Seacoast Shores neighborhood. @boston25 right now.

— Christine McCarthy (@ChristineMNews) July 27, 2018

During the officers’ investigation, Koval allegedly grew agitated and withdrew a gun and opened fire, according to reports. Falmouth police said emergency responders transported the two officers and Koval to Falmouth Hospital. Overnight, police reported that Koval was flown from Beth Israel in Plymouth to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston for further treatment.

In an online post early Saturday morning, Falmouth police announced the officers had been shot separately, one in the neck and one in the chest. The officer shot in the chest was also shot at least once in his ballistic vest, according to police.

Falmouth Police say both officers are expected to recover. WCVB reports one officer is married with three children, and has been with the department for less than five years, while the other is single and has served in the department for five years.

BREAKING: Both #Falmouth police officers who were shot are alive and talking, DA says. One shot once in vest, once above vest. He is still in hospital. Other grazed in head; he has been released. ?? Suspect Shot multiple times and at hospital. @boston25

— Christine McCarthy (@ChristineMNews) July 27, 2018

An aunt to 21-year-old Koval who identified herself as Emmalyn Anderson told WCVB that Koval had been “trying to sort out several things mentally” and been “trying to get himself well.”

At a press conference in Falmouth Friday night, Police Chief Edward Dunne told reporters that shootings against police officers are happening “way too much.”

©2018, Springfield, Mass.

Share This